Displaying Data in Charts
Make your data more comprehensible by displaying the information in a chart. Use bars, lines, bubbles, points, pie charts and more to represent your data and communicate visually with color.
Charts are visually appealing and make it easy for us to see patterns, comparisons, and trends in data. For instance, rather than having to analyze a long list of worksheet numbers, you can see at a glance what categories are producing the biggest impact, or how a variety of elements compare.
To Create a Chart:
- Choose Object | Create Chart... The Chart Options dialog box opens displaying sample data.
- In the Data tab, press Ctrl + A and then click the clear selection button to delete all of the sample data.
- Do one of the following:
- Enter data into the data cells. The first row and column default to chart labels.
- Import data by clicking the File Open icon. Browse to and select your data set (CSV or TXT format).
- Copy data from a spreadsheet and paste into data cells.
- Click the Format Cells button to set number display preferences.
- Click the General, Text, and Series tabs to fine-tune the appearance of your chart.
- Click OK once you have finished editing your chart. Double-click your chart at anytime to display the Chart Options dialog box.
The Chart Options dialog box can also be opened by clicking the Chart icon found in the toolbar.
Notes on Importing CSV (Comma Separated Values File) and TXT File Formats
- Every row (with the exception of the last) should end in a carriage Return.
- With the exception of labels, numerical values of thousands should not contain commas (,).
- With the exception of labels, characters are imported as follows:
Example (in CSV or TXT file)
Result (in Chart)
|0.01 (1 divided by 100)|
|$(1.00)||0 (any string is imported as zero)|
|1.00 or 2.00||1.00 2.00|
Pie charts are generated counter-clockwise from the 1st data cell. To reverse the order, sort your data using a spreadsheet program and copy and paste the data back into the Chart Options dialog box.
You can save your settings as a preset by clicking the Set as Preset button.