Saving a Canvas X Draw Document
In Canvas X Draw you can choose to save an entire document, a selection, or a layer. You can also use compression, or apply a password to protect a document.
Use one of the following:
- Save: Updates a document file on disk and overwrites the previously saved version.
- Save As: Lets you create a new file on disk from an open document, save documents as templates, and use other graphics and text file formats.
When you use these commands, the default format for storing documents is the native Canvas X Draw format.
To Save a New Canvas X Draw Document:
- Choose File | Save As.
- In the Save As dialog box, select a location to store the document and type a file name.
- Click Save to store the document on disk.
To Save Changes to a Document as You Work:
Choose File | Save to update the document file on disk.
To Save a Document with a New Name or in a New Location:
Choose File | Save As. Enter a new name or select a new location in the directory dialog box, and then click Save.
To avoid losing your work in the event of a power failure or system failure, use the Save command frequently as you work to store changes on disk. Also use the AutoSave feature located in Canvas X Draw | Preferences | General | Functionality Options.
Saving Selections and Layers
In the Save As dialog box you can choose options to save selections or layers, and create previews.
Save Entire Document
The default setting tells Canvas X Draw to save a complete document.
Choose this option after you select the objects in the document that you want to save as a new document. If you don’t select anything, this option is not available.
Select this option to save one or more layers in a new document. Then, click Layers to specify which layers to save. This option isn’t available if the document has only one layer.
Use this drop-down menu to reduce the size of files saved on disk. By default, the Compression speed is set to Fastest, which compresses quicker (relative to the other settings), but does not make the file very small. You can choose a slower compression speed for a smaller file.
Select this option to save a low resolution preview of the document. In applications that support previews, you can see a thumbnail image of the document before opening the file. You can set the drop-down menu to save a preview of part, all, or none of your file.
Applying Password Protection to Canvas X Draw Documents
If you want to control who can open a Canvas X Draw document, you can protect the document with a password.
To Add a Password to a Document:
- In the Save As dialog box, select the Encrypt file checkbox.
- In the Password text box, enter a password.
- In the Confirm text box, enter the same password again.
- Click OK.
To Change the Password on a Document:
- In the Save As dialog box, click the Modify key button.
- Enter and confirm the new password, and then click OK.
The encrypt option is only available when you save the document in the native Canvas X Draw format. The PDF export has its own encryption method.