Using Canvas X Draw Templates
Canvas X Draw includes many ready-made templates, and you can create your own template documents. Then, when you use the New command, you can select a template — either one supplied with Canvas X Draw or one you have created — to create a new document based on the contents and configuration of the template.
A template document stores almost all preferences settings, as well as the settings you specify with the Document Setup command, and other document setup options, including the following:
- Document type
- Configuration of layers, slides, pages, sheets and frames
- Settings for rulers, grids, guides, and views
- Current inks and strokes settings
- Text styles and default text settings
Canvas X Draw stores some settings with the application and not in particular documents, so these settings are not included in a template document. The settings that aren’t stored in a template include the position of palettes on the screen and the current set of external tools.
If you create a template with a small amount of type, such as for a letterhead, convert the type to paths so the template can be used without particular fonts being available.
To Save a Template Document:
- Choose File | New to create a new Illustration, Presentation, or Publication document.
- Choose Layout | Document Setup to select measurement units, document size and orientation, and, for Publications, the margins and column layout.
- Use the Properties bar to further refine your document settings, if necessary.
- Create or import objects that you want to store in the template.
- Choose File | Save As or File | Save As Template.
- In the Save As Template dialog box, navigate to the Canvas X Draw\My Templates folder.
- In the Save as type drop-down list, select CVDTPL - Canvas X Draw Template, or in the Save as Template dialog box, enter tags, if desired, and a destination folder for your template..
- Click Save.
To Open a Template Document:
To open a template document, do one of the following:
- Choose File | Open, then select CVDTPL - Canvas Template from the Format drop-down menu. Select your desired template document.
- Drag your CVDTPL - Canvas Template to the Canvas X Draw icon in the Dock.
- In the New Document screen, click the My Templates tab, select your template and press Choose.